As we all know, winters in Colorado can be very cold … or fairly warm. You never know what the temperature will be like, but you can almost guarantee that the air will be very dry. This means that your plants will need a little extra water, even though it’s wintertime. Ace has all the supplies you’ll need, and to ensure you don’t miss a step, here are some winter watering tips to get you started.
- Who? Dormant plants do not need to be watered in the winter, including cacti, succulents, and a few grasses. However, all plants, trees, shrubs, and even the lawn can be watered throughout the winter months.
- What? The plants, trees, and shrubs that you planted most recently last fall should be your highest priority to help combat any sun or wind damage. Generally, shrubs planted within the last year will need just a little extra water. Next, you can focus on other plants that have had more time to establish their roots.
- When? You should not water if it is below freezing outside. In fact, it’s best to do it on a sunny day when air and soil temperatures are above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to water early enough in the day so the water has time to reach the roots before the cold nighttime temperatures set in again.
- Where? Naturally, your plants and trees that see the most daylight are going to be more prone to drying out. These are areas of your landscape that face the south and/or the west. However, you can water all your plants. Consider any areas of your yard that may be seeing sunlight reflected off other buildings, fences, or houses.
- Why? When the air is dry and precipitation is low, plants and trees need water to avoid root damage. Colorado weather can be so unpredictable, and when we have a warm day, it can cause ‘drought stress’ for plants. Larger shrubs and trees can really benefit from ‘deep root’ watering.
- How often? The time to begin your winter watering has already started and can continue to about April, or once the weather warms up. Once or twice a month should be enough to keep your plants strong throughout the season.
There are a variety of methods to water your landscape. Ace Hardware has all the sprinklers or soaker hoses that you may need, including the Ross Root Feeder for deep root watering, to keep your plants nice and hydrated this winter. These choices give you the option to water and fertilize at the same time. If you have any questions about what products we carry or how to use them, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 970-223-9273.