Fire Prevention Month helps raise awareness about fire and home safety for your family in case there is an emergency. This is the perfect time to sit down with your family and make sure you have a fire safety and escape plan.
Did you know?
- According to the NFPA, in 2016 there were 352,000 home fires, and 3 out 5 fire deaths occurred in homes without smoke alarms.
- Less than 50% of homeowners have an escape plan.
- Carbon monoxide is the #1 cause of accidental death.
That is why now is the time to get your fire safety equipment and your emergency plan together for your whole family. It is important to install smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, and escape ladders in your home.
According to First Alert, here are some tips for fire safety equipment:
- Should be placed on every level of the home, outside of sleeping areas and in bedrooms.
- Should be installed at least 10 feet away from the kitchen.
- Should be installed 10 inches from the top of the wall.
- Check smoke alarms often to make sure they are working properly and replace every 7 to 10 years.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms:
- Should be placed on every level of the home and in each bedroom.
- They can be placed anywhere in the room.
- Check carbon monoxide alarms to make sure they are working properly and replace every 5 to 7 years.
- A fire extinguisher should be placed on every level of the home.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen but make sure it is the correct grade.
- Follow the P.A.S.S. technique when using a fire extinguisher.
- Pull the pin
- Aim at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the lever
- Sweep from side to side
- Escape ladders are not required by law but can be useful in case of a house fire.
- You should have an escape ladder if your home is two or three stories high.
- Every room should have two escape routes. A window can be one so be sure to keep a ladder close by.
This month is the perfect time to make sure your family knows how to replace the batteries in your alarms and to test your alarms. Be sure to plan your escape and that all family members know where your meeting place will be. When in doubt, remember to call 9-1-1 and to stop, drop, and roll.
If you are looking for more information about fire safety equipment, the staff at Ace Hardware of Fort Collins can help! We have fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and more starting at $9.99. Stop by or give us a call today, 970.223.9273.