Delicious fruits and vegetables aren’t just for the summer! By canning fresh produce, you can enjoy them for months down the road. With canning season just around the corner, Ace Hardware of Fort Collins is here to help you with all of your canning needs. Here are a few tips to get you started:
Why Should You Can?
In addition to enjoying delicious goods year-round, there are quite a few benefits of canning. It’s a great way to save money, be eco-friendly, minimize wasted produce and stock up on food that is safe to eat for many months or even years.
Before you begin your canning endeavors, stop by Ace to pick up all the supplies you’ll need:
- Mason jars
- Large stock pot
There are a few different methods for canning, but here is a simple way that works with most recipes:
- Wash jars and lids with antibacterial soap.
- Prep your fruits or veggies according to the canning recipe you have chosen.
- Fill your jars with food items you are canning using the funnel. Be careful to not fill the jars too close to the top to avoid leakage down the road. Place lids back on jars.
- Submerge the filled jars into simmering water using tongs. Bring the water to a slow boil for approximately 10 minutes, depending on the recipe.
- Turn off the heat and let the jar stand in the water for about five minutes. Remove jars to let them cool.
- Make sure each jar is sealed properly. This is VERY important to ensure that they stay fresh and do not leak.
- Label jars with contents and date, and store in a cool, dark cabinet. Enjoy it for months (or even years!) to come.
Stop by Ace on Harmony to get started!